Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum. You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2020-11-19 06:25:30

lijingbai2009

Computing surface hopping probability

Dear OpenMolcas developers,

I have been looking at the source code (tully.f) of surface hopping in OpenMolcas. In the source code, the B matrix is always re-computed with the state population (A matrix) and derivative coupling (D matrix) at each substep. So the surface hopping probability from state 2 to state 1 at time t is g(t) = B12(t)*dT/(nsubstep*A22(t)), where dT is the MD time step (e.g., 20 au), and nsubstep is the number of substeps (e.g., 200).

As you can see, in each substep, g is usually small as it was divided by nsubstep. I noticed that even at some surface hopping events, g was smaller than 0.01, suggesting a sudden state transition.

My question is why the B matrix is re-computed instead of being accumulated throughout the substeps. My understanding is that B12*dT/nsubstep approximates the population of the state transition in a tiny time step. The numerical integration over nsubstep in an MD time step dT would approximately be the sum of B12(t)*dT/nsubstep. The probability g(t) = [(B12(t0)+...+B12(t))*dt/nsubstep]/A22(t). This can give a gradually increasing probability near the surface hopping event.

Do I have any misunderstandings? Thanks!

Board footer